The Eddycon D offers high performance multi-channel flaw detection and capability to tackle nearly any application.
The scope of eddy current inspection performed by the Eddycon D includes testing of the pipe body, rolled products, wheelsets, rails, bars, wires, etc.
The instrument specifications and service functions
- Operating frequency setup range – from 10 Hz to 16 МHz.
- Generator output voltage (double amplitude) – from 0.5 V to 20 V.
- Adjusted gain range – 70 dB.
- "Added gain" function – 30 dB.
- Digital filtering, 3 filter types: Low-pass, High-pass, Bandpass.
- Possibility to connect a large number of ECPs when using external switches on 8, 16 or 32 channels due to the multiplexing of one physical channel.
- Software of up to 32 ECPs to one eddy current channel.
- External synchronization.
- Capability to connect and operate with the following ECPs:
- single coil ECP;
- bridge type ECP;
- reflection ECP;
Figure 1. Scheme for constructing the multi-channel system
The Eddycon D is featured with:
- multi-channeling, providing high detection sensitivity;
- multifunctional software, making the Eddycon D a versatile solution in industrial inspection;
- connection of up to 2 encoders;
- rotary scanner connection;
- Ethernet port for real-time communication with a PC and remote control;
- Wi-Fi for data transfer.
eddy current crack detection of railway parts and car units (wheelsets and axle box bogies of freight, refrigerator and passenger cars, automatic coupler, etc.).
eddy current inspection of aircraft engineering parts (wheel disks, skin, turbine blades, multi-layered structures, various holes, etc.).
examination of pipelines, industrial tanks, etc.
eddy current crack detection of pipelines, turbine blades of gas-distributing stations (GDS), pressure vessels, etc.
non-destructive testing of steam generator tubes and headers by eddy current bobbin probes, etc.
eddy current inspection of bars, wires, steel structures, mill rollers, plates, etc.
Specially configured software for operation with the EDDYCON D eddy current channel includes:
- Program for setting up the EC channel;
- Program of testing;
- Program for reviewing the testing results.
Program for Setting up the EC Channel
This software ensures the following:
- Rapid set up of all EC channel parameters: EC probe frequency, generator output voltage, gain, filters, threshold level type, encoder, etc.
- Four independent threshold levels for automated defect triggering (ALARM) for each displayed area;
- Saving the testing setups into the PC or tablet`s memory;
- Estimating the defect depth and length;
- Channels mix.
Interface example of a program for setting-up the EC channel
Program of Testing
This software ensures the following:
- EC probes per channel display;
- Real-time display of EC probe information (time charts, complex plane, two-dimensional display);
- Recording the testing results into the PC or tablet memory;
- Displaying the status of mechanisms and units on the mnemoc scheme;
- Testing process control, shop mechanization (when designing automated NDT systems).
Interface example of program of testing
Program for Reviewing the Testing Results
This software ensures the following:
- Reviewing the testing results from the database, sorting and retrieval by various characteristics;
- Generating the testing protocols;
- Archiving the testing results;
- Reviewing the testing results from the remote PC, etc.
Interface example of a program for reviewing the testing results
By designing special-purpose scanners, as well as including the EDDYCON D channel as a part of automated NDT systems makes it possible more effectively to solve the flaw detection tasks for various metal parts and units in different industries.
Nondestructive testing in the machinery industry. Bearing rollers and other cylindrical objects
Eddy current nondestructive testing equipment can be used as the basis for creation of various machinery-dedicated automated systems. OKOndt engineers have developed an eddy current system for testing the cylindrical bearing rollers on the basis of the Eddycon D flaw detector. This system provides a possibility to get excellent results in detecting artificial defects of 0.75 mm length, 0.05 mm width and 0.05 mm depth with at least 10 dB signal/noise ratio.
Mechanized equipment built on the basis of the Eddycon D eddy current flaw detector enables to test the rails in-service for surface headcheck cracking-type defects.
Moreover, the guideline documents regulate the procedure of the automated eddy current testing of rails during their production. To solve this task, in turn, it is indispensable to use eddy current flaw detectors in high-performance systems that are capable of acquiring and processing data, as well as results and commands displaying for controlling the mechanics in real-time mode.
Functional capabilities of the Eddycon D eddy current flaw detectors allow to build systems of a similar type by increasing the amount of flaw detectors for reaching the required output.
Eddy current method is used to perform a high-output nondestructive testing of the aircraft wheels made of nonmagnetic materials (aluminum and magnesium alloys) with complex profile. Defects with the following parameters can be detected: length - 1.5 mm, width - 0.1 mm and depth - 0.76 mm, that is regulated by the normative documents of majority of the world-renowned aircraft wheels manufacturers.
Application of the eddy current flaw detector Eddycon D as part of other NDT systems developed by OKOndt Group
SMARTSCAN Aircraft Wheel Inspection System
SMARTSCAN Aircraft Wheel Inspection System is intended for testing the aircraft main and nose wheels made by various world manufacturers.
In the SMARTSCAN-FA modification, the Eddycon D eddy current multi-channel flaw detector is used together with a single coil ECP.
VD-301 ND-ІІІЕ automatic eddy current flaw detector
The VD-301 ND-IIIE is the automatic eddy current flaw detector intended for the surface defects detection in the outer bearing rings used in the axle boxes of railroad carriages.
The flaw detector can be widely used at the railroad carriages building and repairing plants, depots, other railroad transport organizations.
3 eddy current multi-channel flaw detectors Eddycon D in combination with 3 external switches and 64 ECPs are realized in this System.
ETS2-77 eddy current single-rail flaw detector
ETS2-77 eddy current single-rail flaw detector is a mechanized scanner which is intended for manual eddy current inspection of a rail head active face and running surface of rails laid down in a track, for the presence of surface cracks.
The Eddycon D eddy current multi-channel flaw detector, switch and 8 ECPs are implemented in this System.
not more than 293 x 37 x 141 mm
not more than 1 kg
Number of EC probes connected to one EC channel
up to 32
Lemo 12, Lemo00
12 V DC power
Time for operating mode setup
up to 1 min.
1 axis Encoder
MAIN METROLOGICAL SPECIFICATIONS
from – 10º to +50 ºС
from 84 to 106,7 kPa
(93 ± 3) % at 25 ºС
Full average life of the flaw detector
not less than 10 years
Output voltage (double amplitude)
from 0,5 to 20 V
from 10 Hz tо 16 MHz
from 0 tо 70 dB with a step 1, 10 dB
from 0 tо 30 dB
not more than 2 V from Peak to Peak
3 digital filters: High-frequency, Low-frequency, Bandpass